BROOKLYN GRANGE ROOFTOP FARM
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Job Type: PART TIME, SEASONAL
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Brooklyn Grange, the world's leading soil-based rooftop farming business, is seeking a focused, hard-working individual to help us run our Saturday farm stand in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, NY (with possible shifts also available for our Sunday farm stand in Greenpoint, Brooklyn). Market Crew will report to the Market Manager and Director of Farming Operations, and will be involved in all aspects of our weekly farmers’ market, including bringing our freshly harvested produce to market, coordinating the produce for display with an eye towards presentation, interfacing with market customers, representing Brooklyn Grange to the Sunset Park community, and more. It’s an up-tempo position with fast insight into the farming operations of Brooklyn Grange and the opportunity to spend your Saturdays in one of Brooklyn’s finest parks.
Our farm is a fast-paced environment where we strive for quality and efficiency. Market Crew members should be personable and excellent team players. Energetic, self-motivated and detail-oriented, crew members must be able to keep up with the brisk pace of market buyers, and take pride in attending to customer service while also being adept at sales. Market Crew members must be able to work outside in all weather, lift heavy loads repeatedly, and spend long periods standing, bending over, reaching, etc.
We are looking for dedicated individuals who are interested in committing to the remainder of our market season, every Saturday from July- early November. Market Crew shifts run from approximately 6:00am - 4:00pm.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Brooklyn Grange is the world's largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host events on roofs in LIC, Queens, and Brooklyn, NY. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities.
All three of our departments--our Farming division, our Events program, and the Design and Installation arm--are part of our close-knit "farmily," so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable and delicious place to live.
· Sale of vegetables at market, with careful attention to cash exchanges, sales amounts, recording data, and following market protocol
· Customer interfacing, customer service, and engaging interactions with community members
· Maintain an aesthetically pleasing market table, and keep produce fresh throughout the market
· Manual work, not limited to transporting vegetables and market materials (tents, signage, etc) to market.
· Communicate with and work well alongside farm managers and other farm crew
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
· Has sales or farming experience, with farm stand experience a plus
· Is conversational in Spanish; Mandarin, Fujianese, Cantonese a plus
· Is energetic, eager to learn about rooftop farming, and has a great work ethic
· Is personable, excited about interacting with market goers, and is great at customer service
· Loves working outdoors in any weather
· Can take direction and is a team player
· Is organized and professional
· Is able to work independently and be very self-motivated
· Is punctual and time efficient
· Is able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and to squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
· Valid driver's license a plus
WHAT WE'RE OFFERING:
· A progressive work environment as part of a small team
· Hourly pay rate of $15/hour, with potential for increases
· Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops
· Occasional fresh vegetables to take home, when available and at the discretion of the Farm Managers
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Market Crew Member Job Application”
· Include a cover letter, resume, and brief description of your availability (e.g. days/hours you are available throughout the season, and any days/hours during which you are totally unavailable)
· Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.