BROOKLYN GRANGE ROOFTOP FARM
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Brooklyn Grange, the world's leading soil-based rooftop farming business, seeks an experienced and knowledgeable Greenhouse Manager to run its ~5,000 square foot greenhouse operations. The Greenhouse Manager will report to the Director of Agriculture and the Director of Farming Operations, and will be responsible for all day-to-day greenhouse management, including: managing processes, both soil based and hydroponic growing systems; managing climate controls; automated irrigation systems; directing and managing staff; crop planning; organization of storage, seeds, and supplies; organic and chemical-free pest control; coordinating with our produce sales team; undertaking occasional infrastructure projects and maintenance of tools and machines.
The candidate should be able to work independently and with a small team, and must be organized and cleanly, thoughtful, have a keen attention to detail, and be an excellent communicator and motivator. The Greenhouse Manager should keep a brisk pace and continually take initiative in tending to the greenhouse, as well as be proactive about improving upon and developing new systems.
The Position is year-round, with schedule to be determined, with periodic, brief weekend shifts.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Brooklyn Grange is the world's largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host events on our roofs in LIC, Queens, and Brooklyn, NY. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities. All three of our departments--our Farming division, our Events program, and the Design and Installation arm--are part of our close-knit "farmily," so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable and delicious place to live.
● Manage and assist with creating systems in a new 4,800 sf greenhouse.
● Undertake crop planning, seeding schedules, propagation, cultivation, and harvest.
● Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot greenhouse tools, equipment, and appliances (heaters,
coolers, fans, automation, germination chambers, seeding equipment, irrigation, etc).
● Monitor nutrients. Manage disease and pest concerns.
● Keep deep, detailed records and data.
● Manage disease and pest concerns.
● Create processes and systems for cleanliness and labor efficiency. Maintain related documents.
● Harvest, wash, and pack produce for various sales accounts. Communicate with customers / assist
with sales as needed on occasion.
● Host occasional tours and education groups.
● Work closely with other departments and farming crew to ensure the smooth operation of the
business, and communicate proactively about issues that may impact the operations of other
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
● Has at least 2 years experience and/or training in both commercial soil and hydroponic growing
● Enjoys small mechanical and plumbing challenges
● Has great attention to detail, and observes changes quickly
● Has experience with crop planning and succession planting
● Has experience with greenhouse management, including plant propagation
● Is familiar with food safety principles and best practices
● Is able to work independently, be very self-motivated, and possesses a great work ethic
● Is able to motivate and energize a team, and lead by example
● Possesses excellent leadership skills and is a true "People Person"
● Is organized and professional in responding to emails in a timely fashion, can navigate Google
Drive, record and enter data into spreadsheets, etc.
● Can take direction and work well with others
● Enjoys working a combination of both indoors and outdoors in any weather
● Is able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and to squat, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
WHAT WE'RE OFFERING:
● A progressive work environment as part of a small team
● Salary commensurate with experience
● Participation in the company’s Simple IRA plan , and other benefits as eligible
● Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops
● A steady stream of fresh vegetables
● Email: email@example.com with the subject line “Greenhouse Manager Job
● Include a cover letter and resume
● Applications will be accepted through 2/15/2019
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.