BROOKLYN GRANGE ROOFTOP FARM
Location: BROOKLYN, MANHATTAN, QUEENS, NY
Job Type: PART TIME, SEASONAL
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Brooklyn Grange, the world's leading soil-based rooftop farming business, is seeking a skilled city driver, who is detail-oriented, hard-working, calm under pressure, sociable, and able to find the best secret parking spots in the city -- to deliver our fresh farm vegetables to our clients in Brooklyn, Manhattan,
and Queens. The Delivery Driver will report to the Produce Sales Manager and Director of Farming Operations, and will be more than just someone who carts our produce -- you’ll be the face and voice
that greet our chefs.
Our farm is a fast-paced environment where we strive for quality and efficiency. The same is true of our need to get our produce efficiently and carefully delivered to our accounts. The Delivery Driver should be good with logistics and mapping the best routes, able to comply with food safety requirements, and an excellent team player. The right candidate must be able to keep track of multiple pieces of information, and demonstrate initiative. The Delivery Driver must be able to work outside in all weather, lift heavy loads repeatedly, and spend long periods sitting behind the wheel.
We are looking for dedicated individuals who are interested in committing to a full season on the farm, from, May - October, ranging from 10-20 hours/week. Work will primarily take place on Tuesdays and Friday, and will require early mornings.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Brooklyn Grange is the world's largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host events on our roofs in LIC, Queens, and Brooklyn, NY. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities.
All three of our departments--our Farming division, our Events program, and the Design and Installation arm--are part of our close-knit "farmily," so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable and delicious place to live.
· Manual work, not limited to lifting multiple cases of produce ranging from 5-50 lbs, packing produce carefully and efficiently into a vehicle, and carting produce up and down stairs during deliveries to our customers
· Driving company vehicle throughout the city, primarily North Brooklyn, lower Manhattan, and Long Island City / Astoria, Queens
· Liaising with customers about deliveries and orders
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
· Must have a valid driver’s license and an immaculate driving record
· Can navigate the city streets with comfort, ease, and efficiency
· Is energetic, eager to learn about rooftop farming and sales, and has a great work ethic
· Is an early riser and can’t wait to see the city’s kitchens in the dawn light
· Can take direction and is a team player
· Is organized and professional
· Is able to work independently and be very self-motivated
· Is punctual and time efficient
· Is able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and to bend over and reach for extended periods of time
· Must be available to work Tuesdays and Fridays, early mornings through early afternoons
· Prior experience preferred, but not required
WHAT WE'RE OFFERING:
· A progressive work environment as part of a small team
· Hourly pay rate of $17/hour, with potential for increases
· Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops
· An inside look at the kitchens at some of the best restaurants in the city
· Insight into the farming and sales operations of our company
· Occasional fresh vegetables to take home, when available, at the discretion of the Director of Sales
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Delivery Driver Job Application”
· Include a cover letter and resume
· Applications will be accepted until job is filled
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.