BROOKLYN GRANGE ROOFTOP FARM
Location: BROOKLYN, NY and LIC, QUEENS, NY
Job Type: HOURLY, SEASONAL
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Brooklyn Grange, the world's leading soil-based rooftop farming business, is seeking a few focused, hard-working individuals to help us farm our rooftops in Brooklyn, NY and Queens, NY. Crew members will report to the Farm Managers of each site, as well as the Director of Farming Operations, and will be involved in many aspects of the farm, including bed preparation, trellising, cultivating and harvesting crops, packing weekly wholesale orders and CSA shares, maintaining compost piles, record-keeping, treating pests and diseases and assisting with infrastructure projects and maintenance.
Our farm is a fast-paced environment where we strive for quality and efficiency. Crew members should be personable and excellent team players. Energetic, self-motivated and detail-oriented, crew members must be able to keep up with the brisk pace up on the roof, and take pride in completing daily tasks and demonstrate initiative in tending to the farm. Farm work is hard, but rewarding. Crew members must be able to work outside in all weather, lift heavy loads repeatedly, and spend long periods kneeling, squatting, bending over, reaching, etc. This is a rooftop farm, and thus, not as mechanized as ground level farms who use tractors and heavy machinery.
We are looking for dedicated individuals who are interested in committing to the full season on the farm, from, approximately, April 15- November 1st, ranging from 20-40 hours/week.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Brooklyn Grange is the world's largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host events on roofs in LIC, Queens, and Brooklyn, NY. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities.
All three of our departments--our Farming division, our Events program, and the Design and Installation arm--are part of our close-knit "farmily," so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable and delicious place to live.
· Manual field work, not limited to bed preparation, transplanting, hand-weeding, trellising, irrigation set up and management, pest and disease management, etc.
· Propagation, cultivation, and care for greenhouse and field crops, under supervision and guidance of Farm Managers
· Harvesting, washing, and packing for wholesale accounts, farm stands, and CSA
· Keep farm neat and orderly at all times
· Communicate with and work well alongside staff from other departments
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
· Has at least one full season of farm experience
· Is energetic, eager to learn about rooftop farming, and has a great work ethic
· Loves working outdoors in any weather
· Can take direction and is a team player
· Is organized and professional
· Is able to work independently and be very self-motivated
· Is punctual and time efficient
· Is able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and to squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
· Valid driver's license a plus
WHAT WE'RE OFFERING:
· A progressive work environment as part of a small team
· Hourly pay rate of $15/hour, with potential for increases
· Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops
· Occasional fresh vegetables to take home, when available and at the discretion of the Farm Managers
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Farm Crew Member Job Application”
· Include a cover letter, resume, and brief description of your availability (e.g. days/hours you are available throughout the season, and any days/hours during which you are totally unavailable)
· Applications will be accepted through 2/1/2019
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.