BROOKLYN GRANGE ROOFTOP FARM
Location: BROOKLYN NAVY YARD, BROOKLYN, and LIC, QUEENS
Job Type: HOURLY, SEASONAL
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Brooklyn Grange, the world's leading soil-based rooftop farming business, is seeking positive, energetic, people-oriented team members to lead tours of our two rooftops in Brooklyn, NY and Queens, NY.
This position will report to our Office Manager, who handles all tour scheduling, and work with our Co-founder and Vice President on learning and developing tour content. Brooklyn Grange offers private tours for groups of between two and 25 people by request, as well as ticketed tours. Both private and ticketed tours often include attendees of diverse backgrounds from all over the globe, with different areas of interest and levels of comprehension. Ticketed tours often include some young attendees, though all of our k-12 educational visits are handled through City Growers, our educational non-profit sister organization. We endeavor to make all guests feel welcome, and to inspire visitors with our vision for greener, more sustainable cities and food systems. We are seeking tour guides who take joy in sharing their passion for food, farming, and/or green cities with guests, and receive a genuine "tour high" from public speaking. The ideal candidate will demonstrate intellectual curiosity, reliability, and be a true "People Person."
This is a great opportunity for those looking to supplement other income with a fun side gig.
We are looking for a dedicated individual who is interested in committing to a full season on the farm, from mid-April through mid-November, though there is some flexibility there. The number of hours per week will range from as few as two to as many as 10, depending on the candidate's availability. We receive requests for tours seven days a week, though the greatest number of hours are available on Wednesday and Saturday mornings, when our ticketed tours take place. We are happy to work within a candidate's schedule, so long as it remains somewhat consistent.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Brooklyn Grange is the world's largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host events on two roofs in LIC, Queens, and in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, respectively, and design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate offices to low-income housing facilities.
All three of our departments--our Farming division, our Events program, and our Design and Installation arm--are part of our close-knit "farmily," so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable and delicious place to live.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
· Is an excellent communicator
· Is punctual and time efficient–tardiness will not be tolerated
· Is professional, reliable, and trustworthy
· Is fun, energetic, and loves meeting and interacting with new people
· Is confident, quick-witted, and intellectually curious, with the capacity to learn new subject matter and
· Has some knowledge of, or is passionate about, local and sustainable food and/or farming
· Loves working outdoors in any weather
· Is respectful in all interactions with colleagues, guests, and partner organizations, and takes pride in upholding Brooklyn Grange's culture of positivity, friendliness, professionalism, and inclusivity
· Has experience leading tours, or with hospitality, public speaking, or teaching
WHAT WE'RE OFFERING:
· A progressive work environment and the ability to work closely with a team of industry leaders
· Compensation commensurate with experience
· Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops
· Email: email@example.com with the subject line “Tour Guide Job Application”
· Include a cover letter and resume, including your availability (e.g. days/hours you are most consistently available throughout the season, and any days/hours during which you are totally unavailable)
· Applications will be accepted through the month of February, or until positions have been filled; applications received after March 1st will not be returned.
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.