DESIGN AND INSTALLATIONS CREW LEADER
BROOKLYN GRANGE DESIGN AND INSTALLATIONS
LOCATION: BROOKLYN NAVY YARD, BROOKLYN, MANHATTAN, QUEENS
JOB TYPE: FULL TIME
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Brooklyn Grange, the world’s leading soil-based rooftop farm business, is seeking one focused, hard-working individual to help expand its Design and Installations department with offsite crew management.
The Crew Leader will report directly to the Project Manager and will be involved in the successful execution of vegetated green roofs and urban landscapes. The Crew Leader is a creative problem solver who can maintain Brooklyn Grange's standards throughout the design and build out of a landscaped installation. Crew Leader will be involved in on-site work including hardscaping, masonry, green wall assembly, intensive and extensive green roof installations, landscape design, and management of crew operations. In addition, the job will include off site work such as taking inventory of tools and plant material, storage space organization and systems development, and farm facilities maintenance.
Installations will vary and Crew Leader must be adaptable to all sites while striving for quality and efficiency. Frequent physical labor in varied weather conditions, as well as strong communication skills are required. Crew Leader must be able to clearly communicate with crew regarding their on-site tasks as well as engage positively and clearly with clients. Applicants must be motivated to learn new systems and able to adapt to any environment.
We are looking for a dedicated individual who will commit to a full year from March 1, 2017-March 1, 2018. Design and Installations schedule will consist of Monday through Friday work with occasional weekends as needed for installations. Crew Leader will be required to work early mornings.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Brooklyn Grange is the world's largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host events on two roofs in LIC, Queens, and in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, respectively. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities.
All three of our departments--our Farming division, our Events program, and the Design and Installation arm--are part of our close-knit "farmily," so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable and delicious place to live.
- Installation of successful green roof systems, meadow landscapes, stone patios, planter boxes, green walls, etc.
- Client coordination that includes preliminary site visits, on site work, and post installation check in’s.
- Management and maintenance of crew well-being while on job sites
- Maintenance of orderly work spaces and material inventory
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Is positive, energetic, and has strong work ethic
- Is a morning person
- Has experience and general knowledge of garden installation
- Can lift 50 lbs. repeatedly, and can squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
- Is familiar with Eastern plants of zones 4 through 7b including: plant ID’s, growth habits, bloom times, training requirements, and preferred soil types
- Possesses carpentry skill and knowledge of general assembly techniques
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Is prompt
- Understands the successful implementation and maintenance of irrigation systems
- Valid driver’s license a plus
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING:
- A progressive work environment as part of a small team
- A full time salary package that includes a health insurance stipend and a Simple IRA plan
- Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Crew Leader Job Application”
- Include a cover letter and resume
- Applications will be accepted through 2/10/2017
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.